Tuesday 2 August 2011

Holidays for Science

I am an atheist.  I never pretend to be christian, yet every December I buy and receive Christmas presents, and every spring I do the same with Easter Eggs.  Yet I don't believe in them.  I do believe in science, but I've never celebrated any historic event from science in a similar way.  The 2001 census had approxiately 15% of the people who answered that question claim to believe in no religion, and almost 8% of people refused to answer it.  And while this is my opinion and not fact, I believe that there are people who never go to church, don't believe in any god, but put themselves down as Christian due to being raised in that religion.  Atheists are a growing population, but as a Christian country, we still celebrate these two holidays as a nation, even if we don't believe in them.  Darwin's Birthday I saw mentioned a few times last year, but this was the first time for it.  Any event worthy of celebration is only celebrated on memorable anniversaries of them, not annually.  And while the birth and death of Christ are clear events to celebrate, there isn't a birth of science, and neither has it died.  This leads to the question which should we celebrate?

There are too many contenders to celebrate them all.  A few initial thoughts give rise to the following :

1. DNA discovered
2. The structure of the atom being described
3. Achieving Cloning
4. Artificial life being created
5. The laws of Thermodynamics
6. Maxwell's Equations
7. Newton's Laws of Motion
8. Einsteinium Relativity
9. The Start of Quatum Mechanics
10. Darwin's theory of Evolution

Admittedly, having studied physics, I am highly biassed in including some of these, but I believe that without them our understanding of the world, and the technology that we would find ourselves using would be incredibly different to how it is now.  We would be without so many things we have found ourselves relying on, yet we don't celebrate them ahead of the birth of someone over 2000 years ago on a date different to that he was actually born on.  This seems to me to be crazy.  But if we split this group into two, Physical and Biological seem to be a natural split, we could replace Christmas and Easter with holidays that atheists actually believe in.  I realise that there are countless things I missed here -  I didn't even mention Penicillin and all the medical advances we've made, feel free to suggest any worthy of major celebration in our new atheist calender which will take over from the Christian one.  And just as the Christians annexed Pagan festivels to make the transition easier, I suggest Biology Day, being about new life, should be in the spring, leaving Physics Day to be Mid-Winter.  Surely it is only a matter of time before religious calenders become out dated, and with people still wanting holidays to celebrate, I think this is the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment