Friday 29 March 2013

FC by the FC

I recently watched the French connection and ultimately it left me disappointed. However, looking back on it,  I have been a bit harsh. Yes it had some flaws, but I looked at it with over 40 years of cinema advancement. I'm enjoying thinking about it more than I enjoyed it first time round!

First off, I have to address a major flaw ; the soundtrack. Countless times during the film any possible tension was ruined by almost comically bad music telling you it was going to be tense. This isn't something you can blame on age as a lot of older films have fantastic soundtracks. It seems a small thing to talk about, but it ruins many good films. My other complaints are the ending seemed confused. 2 or 3minutes less and it would have been brilliant, but as it was it just got a bit confused. And the other thing was the pacing of the plot in the first half, but this may have been a consequence of it being a true story.  It went very slow,  then big lump of plot in a single scene.

That apart it was actually better than I gave credit for. Things that seemed cliché weren't when it was new,  and I didn't credit this. The chase scene must have been groundbreaking and the interaction with the characters outside the main 2 cops was a lot of fun. A favourite scene was the subway one trying to follow alain, which was a lot of fun.

Overall it is a good film,  and I think I will enjoy it more the second time provided I watch it right. If only it had a better sound track...

No comments:

Post a Comment