Sunday 22 January 2017

A Weekend in Wales

My next trip had something a bit different about it.  This time it wasn't just me going.  Next trip was the first time I went away with my girlfriend.

We both like mountains and hiking, and given that it was only for a weekend away we didn't want to go too far.  So we packed up the car and drove to north Wales and Snowdonia.  Snowdon may be a bit on the touristy side as mountains go, but it was still something I wanted to share with her,

I've been up Snowdon before, but only once and only by the "tourist" trail.  This time I wanted to go up one of the other paths, maybe a little harder, but supposedly prettier.  We chose Rhyd Ddu.  And it didn't disappoint.

I always feel at peace in the mountains.  I think that is why I like them quite so much.  The walks tend to be enough of a challenge to keep you at least semi-occupied, and make you feel like you achieved something, and some of the views and scenery are spectacular.  Walking this time was a bit of a different experience, being the two of us, but if anything it was better for it.

While we were in the area, we went to lake Bala, and also hiked up Cadair Idris.  Unfortunately the weather didn't play ball for the second hike.  All the way up Snowdon we had great weather, and really good visibility.  There is always a risk that when you start getting high that the cloud will come in and you'll suddenly be stuck only able to see 10 feet in any direction.  It wasn't quite that bad, but it was pretty limited, and taking photos was out of the question.

I guess that means we'll have to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment